All roads led to a Fife College this week at it played host to a judging session for the Scotland Food and Drink Excellence Awards.
For the very first time, the SRUC Elmwood Campus hospitality staff hosted five industry experts as 121 different product entries were given a taste test.
The judging panel was made up of:
- David Mulcahy, Craft and Food Development Director, Sodexo UK & Ireland
- Lorna Murray, local buyer from Asda(title sponsor)
- Cate Devine, The Herald
- Richard Ford, fresh foods editor of The Grocer
- Tom Lewis, Monachyle Mhor
The judging took place over two days, and the results will be announced later this year.
Scotland Food & Drink Excellence Awards 2013 promise to be the food lovers’ event of the year, and they will recognise excellence across 17 different categories.
The awards, with headline sponsor Asda, are organised by Scotland Food & Drink in partnership with the Royal Highland and Agricultural Society of Scotland (RHASS).
Categories include nine food and drink taste awards; Scottish Food & Drink Entrepreneur and Export Business of the Year.
- Categories for Scotland Food & Drink Excellence Awards 2013 are:
- Soup, Preserves & Accompaniments (sponsored by Asda)
- Fish & Seafood (sponsored by Rowett Institute)
- Bakery & Cereal Based Product (sponsored by Asda)
- Meat – Red, White & Game (sponsored by Scottish Food & Drink Fortnight)
- Drink – Alcoholic & Non-Alcoholic (sponsored by Asda)
- Dairy (sponsored by Asda)
- Confectionary & Snacking (sponsored by Asda)
- Foodservice Product of the Year (sponsored by Sodexo)
- Healthy Eating (sponsored by Food & Health Alliance / Food Standards Agency)
- Marketing (sponsored by JBT)
- Export Business of the Year (sponsored by Clydesdale Bank)
- Profiting through Research (sponsored by Interface Food & Drink)
- Profiting through Skills (sponsored by Skills Development Scotland)
- Success through Working in Partnerships (sponsored by SAOS)
- Environmental Sustainability (sponsored by Zero Waste Scotland)
- Food & Drink Tourism (sponsored by VisitScotland)
- Scottish Food & Drink Entrepreneur (sponsored by Johnstone Carmichael)
- Product of the Year award (sponsored by RHASS) is selected from winners of categories 1-10
- Business of the Year (sponsored by Scottish Natural Heritage) is selected from winners of categories 11-16.
Pic by Rob McDougall shows broadcaster Hardeep Singh Kohli at the awards launch